Verdant Rice Salad Recipe
Rice Salad Recipe Ingredients
* 1/2 cup of sherry vinegar or use good red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons of Dijon-style mustard
* 2 teaspoons of honey
* 3/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
* 2 anchovy filets, minced
* 3 tablespoons of canola oil
* 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped chives
* 1 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh tarragon
* basmati rice 1 cup raw
* 2 cups of chicken stock s
* 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
* 1 package of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted, dried, chopped
* 2 large shallots, minced
* 2 green onions, white and green part minced
* 1 roasted red pepper minced (can use jarred if desired)
* 1/2 package of tiny peas, defrosted
* 2 tablespoons of capers drained
* 1/3 cup of fresh leaf parsley minced
* 10 to 12 leaves of fresh basil slivered
* generous handful of grated parmesan
RICE SALAD RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
* Made vinaigrette one hour ahead of time to allow flavors to mellow.
* Whisk sherry vinegar with honey, pepper, mustard and anchovy.
* Add oil whisking all the while.
* Stir in herbs to infuse the oil and vinegar mixture.
* Let stand.
* *Just before you pour the dressing over the hot rice, whisk again*
* Cook the rice in the chicken stock according to package directions with the two whole cloves of garlic in the stock
* (you could tie together the parsley stems and some peppercorns here if you want, I usually skip the step of a bouquet garnet in the rice prep)
* While the rice is cooking, prep the other ingredients.
* Put the shallots, green onions, artichokes, peas, roasted pepper and capers in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
* When rice is complete and still hot, fish out the garlic cloves and mince and add to the other salad ingredients in the bowl.
* Whisk dressing and add to hot rice. Don't add it all.
* Just enough to moisten the hot rice but not drown it.
* Allow it to cool to near room temp. You just don't want it steaming hot dumped on the other veggies.
* Add to salad bowl ingredients and toss gently to combine.
* Chill one hour at least. I usually chill it for two or three.
* Before service, add parsley and basil leaves.
* Toss again, adding more dressing as necessary to moisten lightly.
* Serve with shaved parmesan or a handful of grated parmesan over the top.
* Very nice with grilled seafood. Love it paired with shrimp